Sunday, August 24, 2008

Real Life as of Today

Downer - Checked my library account and discovered there are two books overdue. It seems my library is lenient on fees that are not new releases. My luck...I need to contribute to the Library kitty a whopping $1.75 for a past due new release. Oh well, it's for a good cause and I love this small library.

No more being able to do whatever I want during the weekend. I've got a new client in Greenwich, CT. Instead of hopping on a plane Sunday and Thursday, I'll be putting miles on my car instead -- drive up Sunday night and drive back Thursday afternoon. I could do it Monday mornings but it means getting out of the house before rush hour traffic. Nah, I like to be in a good frame of mind. Traffic could just mess with my day. It's about an hour to an hour and half each way if I happen to avoid bad traveling time. Then again, it only takes one accident to wreck my trip. This commute will last until mid-January of next year.

So no more playing on the internet and fooling around with graphics during the week. In Disney terms, I'm always on stage at the client site. Maybe the situation will change later, I hope.

Another downer - My laptop had to go to the doctor's office late yesterday. It was acting up all week until I finally had to call the doc. I'll be merrily working on a document or updating a database, and it would sudden give me a horrible blue screen with gloom and doom words or just shut down **arghhh** The doc said I had to send it in and *crossing my fingers* get a new one. Now this is while I'm onsite at the client. It's 3pm Thursday. The laptop had behaved all day, but then again, I did not have any client facing meetings. So I'm staring at the laptop. I got everything I needed off it so I can work on Friday using my sister's laptop. Did I really want to say good-bye? Did I really want to send it to the doc? In the end, I took a drive to FedEx, got it packed and sent it on its way *sob*. The doc has it and is working on it as I write this blog.

I'm glad I carry my 80G external drive with me -- that's where all my graphic stuff is -- so I was able to back up my important files. Who knows what doc is going to be able to move over successfully for me? I know I'm going to need to reload all the personal software I put on it. *crossing fingers* I hope doc completes his surgery today and ships it back to me on Saturday. Otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do on Monday for my PM asked me to do a demo for my client in NYC.

Yeah, I'm on my sister's lappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment