Saturday, February 27, 2016

2016 Chinese New Year Celebration

Last night was the family get together to celebrate the Lunar New Year which, if you don't know already, is the year of the Monkey. Out of all of us, we only have 1 Monkey, my oldest niece.

I get into Chinatown with plenty of time to spare. As I near the new restaurant we were going to try, I see my youngest sister approach me. She stops me and says, "I think this is the place." I stare at her because she's not pointing to the restaurant we were meeting at, but at a little joint that has a line coming out the door wrapped beyond it's store front.

"This is the place that we saw the video about."

Video? I don't recall seeing a video with her. It seems my BIL showed her and her boyfriend this YouTube video.


As we stood outside talking about this place, the aroma wafting out of this place was fabulous, heavenly. I decided to get online and get an order to try for the next day. While we waited on line, my BIL and his family showed up and saw us standing on line. He confirmed this is the place and he got on line, too. I discovered that he use to get meals from this place several years ago when he worked around here. As he was going to get several orders, I made him place mine also. Once they were done with mine and BIL's order (total of 12 3-item combos), there wasn't much meat left for the 7 or so people behind us.

Wah Fung (I have it linked to the Yelp review) is a take-out only place. There is no place for you to sit and eat your food inside. There is a park across the street but I think at this time of night people were bringing home dinner. Their $3.75 1 item dish is packed tight with meat, rice and vegetables. Me, I could get two meals out this. If you want more than one type of meat, you can get 2 item (about $5.00) or 3 item (about $6.00) combinations. The meats they offer are BBQ Pork (Char Siu or what they call Roast Pork), Roast Pig (that's what I call Roast Pork), Roast Duck, Roast Chicken, and Chicken Legs (that look like they were BBQ like the BBQ Pork). Reading the Yelp reviews, they might offer something other than what I saw last night. If you get there earlier than me, you may find more stuff that possibly sold out by the time we got there.

We carried out stash into the restaurant we were having dinner at Bite of Hong Kong (Ren Xuan Thai). This restaurant is in the far flung boundaries of Chinatown, across from my old junior high school (or new I.S. 131, what I find has been changed to M.S. 131). It's rare that we go to restaurants that are not in the heart of Chinatown, but many of our favorite gathering places either had a change in management/chefs or closed. Plus we wanted to try something new. Service was great as it's not as crowded as those in the heart of Chinatown. The food was good, too. Everyone gave it a thumbs up, and we will be coming here again.

NOTE: I've watched many videos from Strictly Dumpling. He's some character!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment