Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Guinea Pig Thinks Green

The why for this blog was me going to my checkbook and finding out I have no more checks. Now, I have to remember where I keep the refills. Found it!!! Left it right where it was suppose to be -- only to discover it's time to order more checks. *Grrrrrr* if only my management company accepted credit card payment without an additional fee or accepted me sending them online banking check instead of them taking money from my account, I would not have to bother with ordering more checks. *Grrrrr* if only the county did not keep raising the taxes so I don't get a notice from my mortgager that there's shortage in escrow for taxes. I'm down to writing one check a month with an odd one thrown in here and there. If I can go by the form dates on the reorder check forms, the last check order was placed in 1996.

No, I'm like lots of you out there that are being choked by vendors who want money for their services. But, I'm a trailblazer, risk taker or guinea pig. I'm an on-line internet banking person. I signed up immediately when my bank first introduced it -- mid 1990s. I think my bank was the first to offer online and phone bill payments. You give them the information and they print and mail checks out or transfer money electronically if the vendor accepts that, too. Once I figure out how my sister can electronically send me money once a month (her rent), I would not have to step foot in a bank cause that's the only reason I have to go. Oh, okay. I also go to the ATM to get spending cash for those establishments who insist on cash transactions.

I've been an ebayer since 1998. When PayPal started its business, I was not too far behind to sign up for their services especially since I like paying with my credit card and it was the only way ebay sellers could accept this type of payment. That was 2000.

Vendors are starting to permit payment via credit card. I signed up for that, too. The vendors that send me a monthly bill or annual renewal. Gotta take advantage of the benefits you get from your credit card company. You get "free" money. I got "free" money to buy books and even "play" money for my trips to Disneyland. No worries on the credit card front -- I don't carry a balance. They get paid off each month. Only one debt to my name -- my mortgage.

By using the computer for many paper cumbersome transactions, *bright light bulb* I've been thinking green . Using the computer definitely has cut down on the paper that I've needed to send out or file and then need to shred before disposing of it. When any of my vendors offer electronic statements, guess who signed up pronto. MEEEEE!!!! Let me tell you. I love it. I download and periodically save onto CD. I think the shredder is feeling lonely as I don't spend much time with it anymore.

Oh one more thing... my sister gave me a check and I just noticed that it's not the frou frou checks. You know the ones that have a character or emblem or favorite hobby on it. She's using blue lined checks now. I asked her why. She said it was time she grew up. Well, I grew up on checks, too, back in the mid 1990's. Just for the checks. The inner child is still strong in both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment