Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Potpourri

First... the title of this blog. When I first saw potpourri, I expected it be pronounced "pot pour ree". Wouldn't you if you never heard the word spoken. Nope, it's another foreign word that we've adapted into the English language. We can thank the French for this addition, like lingerie (ling ker ee, no I know how this is pronounced). The true meaning of this word -- potpourii -- is "a mixture of dried, naturally fragant plant material, used to provide a gentle natural scent in houses"*. Of course, Americans take words and give it new meaning. No, this will not be a fragrant blog but a mix of Judy's ramblings.

I just did a quick review of the above paragraph. I'm always amazed with my fingers and brain. I'm a touched typist. So my brain tells my fingers what words it wants to see on the page. I think the fingers have a hearing problem because it comes up with the strangest words (i.e. instead of word, it wants worlds).

My sis insists I write this one. One night I told my sis that I'll fend for myself when it comes to dinner. She decided to make herself a sandwich with sliced pickles on the side. Well, I was heading to the kitchen to hunt for my food and stopped by her to see what she had. I wanted one of her pickle slices. She did not want to give up one. To ensure I did not nab one -- you know the deal, she moves the plate away from your hand -- she licked each and every one of them :D

Persona..."in the word's everyday usage, is a social role, or a character played by an actor. The word derives from the Latin for "mask" or "character", derived from the Etruscan word "phersu", with the same meaning"*. This has been going in and out of my head for the last several weeks. I don't know if I've ever met anyone who shows the same personality to everyone he/she interacts with. The person I'm with my family is different from my work life different from various groups of friends. In a non-family environment, you are more constraint in your behavior, more circumspect. You show what you think are the good parts first. Then the more closer you get with an individual you wind up opening up more and are freer with yourself. Safety. You trust the person understands you better and does not judge you or no longer wants to be near you. The internet has enable us to make some great friends. But what's to stop an individual from having multiple internet personalities, multiple user ids. Imagine... you make great friends with two people on the internet and they happen to be the same person. Whoa!!!

Avenue Q... I had the pleasure to see this Broadway show last night. Wow, I do miss attending Broadway shows. The last one I think was 6 years ago. I guess it was a case of I'll get to it, but I can see time sure flew by. Avenue Q is a R-rated musical puppet show. It was hilarious and poked fun on current topics -- racism, gay, purpose, finding a guy, internet, Gary Coleman. I'm definitely adding this cast album to my Broadway Show CD collection. And, I have no problem seeing it again.

* Definitions courtesy of WikipediA

No comments:

Post a Comment