Wednesday, May 14, 2008

In the Local News

Something I don't do when I'm home. Away, I watch/listen to the local news in the morning while I'm getting ready to head to work. I mainly watch it for the local weather forecast, but there are some interesting stories. So what have I learned...

There was a good snippet this morning about job hunting. Employers have gone high tech. They look for specific words in your resume. If it's not there, you get push to the bottom of the pile. Employers are also looking up your name in Google, MySpace, FaceBook and any other social networks out there, like LinkedIn. The advice is to be careful what you put on your pages as your prospective employer may be looking at and deciding if you're the right type of person based on your page and your friends. It also advises you to have a "professional" email address, nothing like studmuffin.

TTHMs (total trihalomethanes) is bad for you. You can ingest it by drinking the local water or inhale the steam from your shower. Well, I'm glad I did not listen to a local girl who drinks the water. I'll continue buying my water.

There's a serial killer in the next town over and seems to be slowly moving into my neck of the woods.

Don't piss off the Sheriff or he'll send his deputies after you. Don't worry, they'll figure some charges to get ya. Are you wondering which Sheriff this is? It's the one that built a tent city prison and prisoners have to wear pink.

Public libraries permit youngsters to borrow movies that a movie theatre would stop the kid from seeing. It seems only one town library would actually stop the borrowing while the others didn't.

I like this one -- suspected drunk driver killed a pedestrian but no charges because pedestrian was not in the crosswalk. So I've been making sure I'm in the crosswalk when the cars are around.

And in the travel news... Southwest passenger was cited by police for refusing to get off cell phone while plane was airborne. Poor guy was met by the police when the plane landed. And then there's the guy who is suing JetBlue for $2mill because the pilot made him give up his seat to a flight attendant and sit on the toilet for more than 3 hours on a flight from California. The flight attendant did not want to sit in the jumpseat that is used by the crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment